Marilyn in the news

Thursday, August 14, 2014

My Marilyn Collection on Exhibit from Sept 12 - Jan 11


Do you live in the Guelph/Kitchener/Waterloo area? Come and see my collection!

I am really excited to be showcasing my collection at the Wellington County Museum and Archives which is located between Fergus and Elora. Please visit the museum website for hours of operation and directions.PLAN YOUR VISIT

How did this exhibit happen?

Some of you have asked for the backstory to how this exhibit came about. Last year the Museum started an exhibit called "Wellington County Collects" where they invited local residents to share their collections. They have a large display case that is located in the Archives building (next to the Museum) and it features a new collector every 3 months. I contacted them earlier this year to offer my Marilyn dolls for this display.

The museum curator came to my house to view my collection. She took photos of my items (everything not just the dolls) and we firmed up the dates I would be featured. I came home from work the next day and there was a message that the Museum was so impressed they wanted to give me an entire room in the Museum instead of just the display case!! On top of that they were interested in holding an opening night event showing a Marilyn film!

I will also be interviewed for our community TV channel on the opening night so I hope to be able to share this with everyone.

This really is a dream come true for me. Living in a small town in a rural area I've never had an opportunity to share my collection like this before.

What will be happening on opening night September 12?

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes will be shown at 7pm in the Museum. The doors open at 6pm. It is a 1950's theme evening so I plan on dressing retro and I hope others will too. Snacks will be served and of course popcorn for the movie too.

You can look at the Marilyn exhibit throughout the evening. You will also be able to access the Archives building directly to see the doll display there.

Don't worry if you can't make it opening night - the exhibit will be running until January 11, 2015. If you do visit on another day don't forget to go next door to the Archives building or you will miss out seeing the dolls.
Thanks ever so to everyone that can make it out!





No comments:

Post a Comment