Marilyn in the news

Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Week With Marilyn Review

I just got home from watching "My Week with Marilyn" starring Michelle Williams.  I had to drive an hour each way to find a theatre near me that was showing it.  Thankfully, it was worth my effort.  I was not expecting to be impressed with the film due to the book it was based on but I have to say that I loved it.  I'll try to give you my thoughts without giving away spoilers.

Michelle did a wonderful job portraying Marilyn.  Of course she does not look and sound exactly like her but I don't think that is necessary.  She certainly embodied Marilyn's mannerisms and I enjoyed watching her.  When she first appeared on the screen in the Prince and Showgirl dress it took my breath away.

Kenneth Branagh was amazing as Oliver.  I truly enjoyed watching his scenes.  I don't think the Milton Greene character was depicted well.  He seemed to be working for Oliver in the film and it did not show how close Marilyn and him actually were.  Miller was also a secondary type of character.  The movie was really all Oliver, Marilyn and Colin.

I surprised that I was able to get over the fact that they claim this film is based on a true story and most fans think Colin Clark completely fabricated his relationship with Marilyn.  While I don't think most of the events depicted in the film actually happened it doesn't really matter.  I found myself enjoying it as a a piece of fiction.  It remained true to Marilyn as a person and I don't think they exploited her to make the film.  

In the end I think the reason why I enjoyed it so much is because it was based on such a specific event in her life (filming of Prince and Showgirl) instead of being a true biopic.  I really didn't know what was going to happen next as I haven't read Clark's second book, My Week with Marilyn.  I found it refreshing that it wasn't a rehash of her entire life story and of course it was wonderful not to have to sit through another horrible death scene.

The best thing about this film is that it is going to bring new fans to Marilyn and remind older fans why they feel in love with her in the first place.  As I was leaving the theatre I listened to a couple of older ladies in front of me describe how difficult it must have been to work with Marilyn.  Then they conceded that it was all worth it in the end because of how she connected with the camera.  They both remembered seeing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes when it came out and expressed how much they loved her in that.  It left me smiling that she is still appreciated today. 

5 comments:

  1. Melinda, thank you for such a wonderful review! I saw the movie last week and I also think that Michelle did a great job portraying Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree Melinda. I loved it! But theres alot of negative feedback from the film. So many people are saying its a completely fake story & that the acting was bad. I LOVED the movie & ive seen it twice already. I dont see where all this negativity is coming from...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review Melinda, I am looking forward to seeing it here next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your review and agree overall. I thought it was a great little film, and wasn't bothered by the unlikelihood of some of the scenes actually having taken place. Thought both lead roles well cast and perfectly played, deserving of at least nominations. Thought of you of course when it came out and glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you got a chance to see it...and thought of me :) I'm pretty picky about portrayals of Marilyn so was very surprised that I liked it. Yes if you can get over the "truthfulness" of the based on a true story it is enjoyable. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete