Marilyn in the news

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Week With Marilyn

So it is almost time for the release of the first big budget hollywood movie based on the life of Marilyn Monroe.  I don't recall another Marilyn bio-pic being available on the big screen like this one will be.  Most are the made-for-TV variety like Norma Jean and Marilyn, The Untold Story and Blonde.  Here we have a high profile cast with a film that is being premiered at the New York International Film Festival.  Pretty impressive indeed.
I'm sure Marilyn fans will flock to the theaters to see Michelle Williams portrayal.  I will certainly be one of them.  I really don't have an opinion on Michelle's abilities to pull it off.  I am not familiar with her work and haven't seen any of her films.  So I will be going to see her with an open mind.  I don't think an actress needs to resemble Marilyn in order to do her justice.  The best film portrayal I have seen (not including the amazing Sunny Thompson in her live show, Marilyn Forever Blonde) was Catharine Hicks in The Untold Story.  She didn't look anything like Marilyn except for the blonde hair.  However, she was able to bring a vulnerability to the role that Marilyn had. (For details on other bio-pics that have been made visit my site at http://www.marilynmonroe.ca/dvds/)

Of course even if Michelle delivers an outstanding performance that doesn't mean that fans will enjoy the film.  The bigger problem is the material that the film is based on.  My week with Marilyn is based on a book by Colin Clark who served as an assistant during the filming of The Prince and the Showgirl.  Obviously, the film will focus on Marilyn's difficult working relationship with Laurence Oliver during this time period.  I pray that they don't make Oliver the hero and Marilyn the villain in this version.  They both had their faults and I hope this is represented fairly.  Also in Clark's book, he hints at a relationship with Marilyn where they shared a bed.  Hopefully, they will leave out these questionable sordid details in the film.  

Here is a photo that has been released to promote the film.

Michelle Williams as Marilyn.

The real deal.

The official website for the film has also been unveiled at http://myweekwithmarilynmovie.com/

A re-release of Colin Clark's books will also be available soon through amazon.  Pre-order your copy now at the link below.



2 comments:

  1. Well, I am not looking forward to this film. The film's website says it will be about a "missing" chapter in the book. Huh? Anyway, Michelle Williams always portrays pathetic characters in movies so I'm guessing she's going to be typecast to portray Marilyn as pathetic too. Such a shame, but I hope I am wrong. I would really rather see Marilyn up on the big screen in Prince and the Showgirl! Now that would be something I would run to see and be first in line. I loved that movie and Marilyn was so funny in it! Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now but I don't have high hopes. Agreed I'd prefer to watch the real thing anytime.

    ReplyDelete